Tuesday, March 4, 2008

FIVE ORDINARY PEOPLE

Isn't it great how Jesus chose "Twelve Ordinary Men" as His Disciples? This rag tag bunch of guys, unbeknownst to them, were going to be in charge of the greatest commission - "The Great Commission!" Clearly, this isn't an original thought on my part! In fact, I don't have many of those, but I did realize today, that we are but five ordinary people, also not really knowing what God has planned for our trip to Capljina, Bosnia. But, we have each felt the call and have decided to drop our nets and "Follow Him!" Knees knocking or peaceful . . . Here we go!

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

This is a Max Lucado Devotion to ponder this week:
Happy are those who are helped by the God of Jacob. Psalm 146:5

Until he was eighty years old he looked like he wouldn’t amount to much more than a once-upon-a-time prince turned outlaw. Would you choose a wanted murderer to lead a nation out of bondage? Would you call upon a fugitive to carry the Ten Commandments? God did. And he called him, of all places, right out of the sheep pasture. Called his name through a burning bush. Scared old Moses right out of his shoes! There, with knees knocking and “Who me?” written all over his face, Moses agreed to go back into the ring….The reassuring lesson is clear. God used (and uses!) people to change the world. People! Not saints or superhumans or geniuses, but people. Crooks, creeps, lovers, and liars—he uses them all. And what they may lack in perfection, God makes up for in love.

No Wonder They Call Him the Savior
Max Lucado

3 comments:

Jill said...

who is this Kathy Marotta and why isn't she a professional writer??? Awesome, Kathy!! Thanks for already busting out of the gate on the encouragement thing!!

Deb said...

I think this is great...it was pretty easy to get logged in.

JimC said...

Nice blog, Kathy. Thanks for including the Isaiah verse. To catch Jamie up to speed, during our meeting last Tuesday, one of the questions we discussed was, "What sentence could you add to the prayer, 'Use me, Lord,' in order to reflect a dependence upon God's sovereignty to use you as He sees fit?"

The answer that came to my mind was "Send me," which seemed like a nice parallel to "Use me."

I mentioned how I was envious of a T-shirt that Billy Nolan has that says on the back, "Send me." Very simple, but it says a lot. I thought it was pretty cool and would like to have one myself. :)

Only later did I realize it came from Isaiah 6:8.

So my thought was, "Send me to Bosnia!"

Actually, though, I think what I like most about "Send me" is that it doesn't say, "Send me to Bosnia," it doesn't say where to send me or when to send me. It leaves that open to God. It leaves us open to God to use us and send us where he wants us to go. We just have to listen and be obedient. And we have to go.